dizzie;249959 Wrote:
> bflatmajor and maggior, Thanks for the help on router firmware updating.
> I did it and the router worked first try.  I am glad I removed that
> possible problem but I don't think that is the main issue.
>
> I shut my modem off last night and took the router out of the loop.
> This morning I started the modem and then the computer and still could
> not connect until I did multiple tries. No router to blame.
>
> Now I have the router back in, and everything is working fine but that
> is just a temporary until tomorrow when the madness starts all over
> again.
>
> Is there something (like scheduled software maintenance) that the
> computer is doing at night that messes up something?  I don't see how
> since the power is completely shut off at my surge protector.

If you are using a router connected to the modem, that means that the
modem is operating in bridge mode and your router is handling the PPPoE
protocol, which includes your user name and password for your account.
To connect the modem directly to your PC, you need to take the modem
out of bridge mode and set up the PPPoE parameters.  Or, on the PC you
have to create a new network connection (connectoid?) for PPPoE.  I
only did this once and I was walked through it by a Verizon tech on the
phone.

In short, it makes sense that connecting your PC directly to your modem
did not work - it's not a sign of other issues.

If you PC is powered off, then certainly there is no scheduled routines
that are running (e.g. virus scans, etc.).

--
maggior