>I read Sean's explanation (in the quoted thread) on why it's difficult
>to do ff's perfectly. It seemed leaving out audio would make it easier
>*for the developers*

I can't see how rewriting the implementation would be easier than doing nothing
;)

>I find the current method confusing and - for me - useless.

I can't understand why anyone would find the current implementation confusing.
It is after all how many DVD players work.  Seems quite logical to me, and
there are audio and visual feedbacks as to what is happening too.

I've never needed to look up documentation to understand how it would work.
Perhaps you could explain why it is confusing such that some documentation
could be added to the Help->Remote Control Reference page?

Actually, I have another improvement suggestion that could be made to the
current implementation to fit in with the suggested implementation.

At the moment, you press and hold FF to move into x2 playback/seek speed.
Holding the button down any longer has no effect.  Perhaps holding the button
down longer could continue to increase the seek speed, x4, x8 etc,  eg. just
implement a FF.repeat action.

>I'd have no objection against a configurable ff-scheme, but I imagine that
>goes against the first rule of coding:
>Keep it simple.

There is no first rule of coding.

Phil