Phil Meyer;250943 Wrote:
> My most frequent use for fast-forwarding is when I am listening to
> podcasts that I have downloaded and scanned into my music library.  For
> example, Coverville.  An episode of this podcast generally lasts 30mins
> to an hour.  When I hear a bad song, I want to skip forward to the
> next.  With no audio feedback, I would not know when to stop
> fast-forwarding.  I'd have to look at the current playtime,
> fast-forward a bit, stop, listen and then fast-forward or rewind a bit.
> With an automatic acceleration in the FF/REW speed, this would be even
> worse.  The functionality would be totally useless.
>
> I think some form of audio feedback is essential, and in my opinion
> expected by those who are not techically aware - those that are moving
> from CD playback.

How would you feel about DVR-like behavior? Press Fwd once and you jump
~30 seconds ahead (rough computation based on file size if not natively
supported format?), pres Rew once and you jump ~10 seconds back. The UI
should let users choose different Fwd and Rew jump amounts.

Perhaps even better -- momentary presses would have that DVR-like
behavior, and held presses would have Alan's proposed behavior.

> I also use KDF's Scanner plugin, so
> I have the best of both worlds.  This is useful for long tracks, when I
> do know where I want to jump to, as it is quicker than fast-forwarding.
> However, I think this is the less-likely scenario.  I can't think of
> many times when I have specifically needed to jump to a known position
> in a song

I use my Squeezeboxes and a RadioShark AM/FM capture device to "time
shift" radio programs. Often I have to stop playing a program mid-way.
I use SongScanner to resume playback in these cases (I'd like to have
something like MythTV's "saved position" functionality.)

-Peter

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade
StatusFirst VolumeLock