Hey All,

It's been about 18 months since I've posted here...

I'm getting audio dropouts that are driving me crazy.  Sometimes I'll
go weeks without an issue, and sometimes I'll get them constantly for
days.  It's gotten to the point that I'll reboot my computer server,
blow away the mysql cache directory and restart the server software
before I have a party.

I'm running a Squeezebox 1 (Wirelessly).  The dedicated server hardware
is a Mac G4 (400mhz) with 1gb of Ram.  My music library contains 2413
albums with 32197 songs by 643 artists.  My server software is:

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165) - EN -
utf8
Perl Version: 5.8.6 darwin-thread-multi-2level
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-standard

My WAP is fine for the rest of the devices in my house.  I am able to
run a AppleTV wirelessly downstairs just fine plus multiple laptops,
etc.

I'm looking for ideas here.  I've had dropouts ever since I've used the
product (both with the Slimp3 and the Squeezebox 1).  My server software
has changed multiple times through the years (Windows, Linux, Mac,
different configurations, etc, etc - I'm a sysadmin for a living).
I've tried both Wired and Wireless with little or no change.  The two
constants in the mix have been my large (over 30 thousand song) library
and the slim hardware itself.  It takes between 3-4 hours to completely
build my library from scratch.

I only use my Squeezebox once or twice a month but the audio dropouts
make it a frustrating experience.  I'm wondering if it's finally time
to retire my Squeezebox 1 and look at a current release or if I'm going
to have this problem with the version 3 hardware too.  I bought an
AppleTV last summer because I was looking for a music device for the
downstairs of my house.  Frankly when I saw that it was the same price
as a squeezebox and it tied into my HD-TV, I went with it for my home
theater room.  It works fine and does what I want for that area of the
house.  No dropouts whatsoever.  All I want for the upstairs is a music
device that I can play a few times a month that doesn't drop out in mid
song.  Have I been in a cave so long that this issue was long ago fixed
by new hardware revisions or is the dreaded audio dropout still the
nemesis of the Squeezebox?

Thanks in advance,

-Healy

--