I have a SB1 also, as well as a couple of SB2's and a TP. Even though
the SB1 is the only one of the 4 boxes which is actually wired to the
router - the others are all wireless - it is the only one that has
dropouts.  I put this down to a combination of running an all-flac
library and the small size of the buffer in the SB1.  My cure has been
to implement bitrate limiting for this player to 192 kbps and that
seems to have done the trick.

The newer boxes have an upsized buffer and, as I said, I can stream
full strength flac to them all with no dropouts, so a new SB3 would no
doubt solve your problem - assuming it is not some other network issue
such as a neighbour's new wifi router on the same channel, or  a
microwave oven or cordless phone somewhere nearby causing interference.
You could try the bitrate limiting trick on your SB1 to see if that
fixes it.

davep

--
davep