For what it's worth, I used to have dropouts on my SB1 (wired with
FLAC), but I've never had them on my SB3 (wireless, also with FLAC).
Now I don't have them on either.  I made several changes to eliminate
the dropouts, though.  My SB1 was plugged into a gigabit switch when
it was experiencing the dropouts.  Now it's plugged into a 10/100
switch.  I also moved my server to more powerful hardware and switched
from Windows to Linux.  Finally, and more recently, I moved to SC 7.0,
which I've found to be a big improvement over 6.5.x.

Since you still see your problem even with a wired network, then
bitrate limiting for the purpose of reducing network bandwidth
shouldn't matter, since the wired connection should have solved that.
However, I suppose it's possible that the higher quality mp3 files
were overrunning the SB1's buffer.

It may be worthwhile to try and narrow down exactly why you are seeing
the dropouts before getting the SB3.  But that having been said, I
would be very surprised if the SB3 experienced dropouts.  The downside
to just going to the SB3 is that you may still have some problem that
your SB3 is just masking.