radish;264183 Wrote:
> I don't know a lot about ceiling speakers, we're just starting to
> investigate them for our house (in the bedroom). There seem to be
> surprisingly few active ones, possibly due to the need to get power to
> them. You can also get in-wall speakers which may work well in
> something like a kitchen.
Besides getting power to them, you're also likely to have a pretty long
run of unbalanced line level cable from the SB to the active ceiling
speakers, which is likely to pick up a hum. You could avoid this with
baluns at each end.

We recently re-did our kitchen and put Polk RC60i speakers in the
ceiling. They are inexpensive and sound fine for background music,
although they are weak on the bass end of things. At some point I will
probably look into either (a) replacing them with 8" speakers or (b)
adding a subwoofer.

--
aubuti