Thanks for all your help. The type.conf file led me to try out one I had
from SS 6.2.2. I then discovered that irrespective of which type.conf I
used, my problem had sort of made progress.

I have 1 SB1, 3 SB2s and 1 SB3. Three players are by default synced (2
SB2s and a SB3). If I tried playing dabbar on the SB1 it worked, on the
stand alone SB2 it didn't work, on the synced players it would work if
more than one was powered on (powering is not synced)and would continue
to work when one of the playing SBs was turned off (by powering off I
only mean hitting the red button on the remote).

If the three synced players were set to unsynced in settings none of
them would play dabbar.

So has anyone any thoughts on how I persuade the SBs to work
individually.

Thanks,

Ken

--