It sounds to me as if you are needlessly mixing the scanner mode and
accelerated playback modes.  I think it would be much better if they
were entirely separate.  During playback, single presses of ffwd/rwd
should trigger accelerated playback.  Holding ffwd/rew when there is a
current track (but not necessarily playing) should enter the scanner
mode.

> Press UP/DOWN to go forward and back in the track position.

Pressing Up/Down to move forward/back is somewhat counter-intuitive.
Does left always have to exit a mode in the Squeezebox UI, or are there
already some instances where this is not the case?  Given that you enter
scanner mode by holding ffwd/rew, it might make sense if during scanner
mode you could use single presses of ffwd/rew to move the current
position right/left.  This would only be possible if the two modes were
completely separate, as above.

> After using UP/DOWN, no further change for between 1-2s will
> automatically jump to the selected position and remain in the scanner.

I can't decide whether I like this behaviour or not - I'd have to try
it.  My Humax PVR has a very similar scanner mode but it doesn't have
the timeout.  I'm trying to think if any other devices do similar.

> Press FWD to enter 2X fast-forward mode. Repeated presses will
> successively double the scanning speed. Similarly with REW for rewind
> modes. The fast-forward/rewind mode and rate is indicated next to the
> position counters. UP/DOWN scrolling can still be used.

I don't think this makes sense when in scanner mode, but fully agree
for playback mode.  What happens when you reach maximum speed?  Does it
cycle back to slow speed?  Does the cycle first go to 1x?  What does the
pause button do?

> Press PLAY to resume normal PLAY and exit the scanner. Any
> fast-forward/rewind mode is stopped and play continues from the current
> position. Any pending position change from use of the UP/DOWN keys is
> invoked.

Does it make sense to be in scanner mode whilst ffwd/rewind is in
effect, or would it be better to have scanner mode cancel ffwd/rewind?
I'm not sure.  Otherwise, good.

> Press LEFT to exit scanner without applying any pending change. Any
> fast-forward/rewind mode remains operational.

See above.

> The scanner will exit when the screen-saver kicks in or any other
> display mode is invoked.

Good.

> Currently fast-forward/rewind modes continue across track boundaries in
> the current playlist. Is this really useful? It seems to me that it
> would be better if play would stop when either end of the track is
> reached.

Agreed.

> This revised proposal keeps the audio feedback. There has been some
> support for this although I remain to be convinced that it is really
> useful. I will look for feedback once the new scanner version
> (described above) is available.

I don't like the audio feedback, but that's mainly due to how it's
implemented.  Audio feedback is a good thing and many devices do it
much better.  The current method basically sounds like a skipping cd,
which is horrible.  I've used devices that do this much better, but
can't remember how they do it right now, or which devices!

Hope that's helpful!

Max

--
max.spicer

What do we want?  Smoother Analog VU with FLAC!
When do we want it?  At the soonest possible convenience to the
hard-working yet undervalued Slim Developers.  ;-)