bpa wrote:
> Are you sure there isn't a mixup about describing how Homeplug works
> like the original Ethernet which used coax whereby all users are
> sharing bandwidth on the coax-cable/mains wiring. This is unlike
> twisted pair Ethernet.

The difference is not in the sharing, the difference is in the cable
medium. There's no reason coax-ethernet couldn't be run in a start
topology like twisted pair with a coax-switch to divide the data. In
fact twisted-pair ethernet used to share the bandwidth when everyone was
still using hubs instead of switches. Switches were extremely expensive
once.

> I can't see how Homeplug could use coax seems Homeplug is designed to
> work over mains and the network connection is through the mains sockets
> which also supplies power to the unit.

That sounds strange to me as well. I'm very lucky that the phone sockets
in my new house were wired with cat5 in a star topology. It was very
easy to put in a patch panel and a switch and replace the wall plates.
The phones run very well wireless DECT, with computer data, wired is
always best.

Regards,
Peter