First things first. Now it's broken, so it must be fixed.

The suggestion about another squeezecenter is interesting - it sounds
as if the revision of local sc servers and the rev of the controller
updates are somehow married - how and why is that? If the controller
can use multiple servers running different revisions, then why the
controller just won't stick in its own stable branch?

In general discussion - that will not fix any device - in my judgement
the sbc definitely keeps holding gamma software. This is not a bad
thing per se, and actually I bought this device because I'm all for it
in a hobby stuff just like this.

Me and some others have also been using linux some 15 years now and I
believe that I was already prepared to the fact that this particular
system, too, shall break without a warning (actually, there was a
warning if one takes the update announcement as such) and I am quite
humbly prepared to just figure out how to get it up again :)

There is no excuse for releasing a product with insufficient
information on avarage users, though :( Where was the option on the
controller screen or the user manual that would have allowed to reject
the updates in the first place?
If there was one, how would one have known if the (online, automatic)
update was for a security fix that nobody wants to miss? I wasn't let
to know that for sure! Where is the option and instructions now to
revert back to a working revision?

As a lesson for further releases, in no circumstances a remote update
may lead to unoperable status, and this time it was quite close. Just
think how many space probes have been lost (partially or totally) just
because migration steps were not checked and doublechecked before the
release, and which eventually led the situation out of hands.
(whether a loss of a space probe or whole lot of devices in home or
mobile electronics is more serious depends just on whose money, time
and reputation we are talking about)

The most constructive approach that could apply here is that the user
must have a chance to stay in control of the automation (although she
may not want to). I believe that needs just a little improvement here
and many excellent solutions to this have already been implemented (the
online and local update options with shadow memory is not a bad start at
all).

--
penguin