CatBus;299485 Wrote:
> As far as I know, you only have to use comp tags when your tagging is
> otherwise ambiguous.  I only needed comp tags on about 6 of my 300 or
> so albums, and those 6 were definitely ambiguous.  Maybe an example of
> where comp tags are needed but shouldn't be?  I've actually perused the
> Perl code and I can't figure out how it could possibly be fooled by
> unambiguous data.  Maybe you have a more unique tagging situation than
> you think?

what you are saying doesn't make any sense.

my tags aren't ambiguous, SC7's interpretation of my tags however is.
simply assuming that any album with TPE1 disagreement is a VA comp in
lieu of other tags is not a good system, and i would say useful only to
people who don't care if it works how it was intended or supposed to
work, but are happy with the output nonetheless, (like Sidhue).  (thus
why i say it should be left in as an opt-in option)

i agree with you that using comp tags probably works fine.  i say this
b/c i haven't seen anyone complain about how SC7 uses comp tags.

i also agree SC7 needs to know what is a comp, and what isn't.

what i am saying is that the VA logic does not do this properly.  it
can not be counted on to discern which albums are truly compilations as
currently implemented for most generic users and generic libraries.

if you were a mp3 user using only 2.3tags, you'd see the problem.
since you use comp tags, (which aren't part of the 2.3 spec) you
don't.

the easy answer is to just tell me to use userdefined tags, like comp,
as a workaround.  but that doesn't solve the issue for others like me,
nor is it something i want to start doing as an additional step.

its the VA logic i am calling to task, not the need for annotating
comps or how SC7 uses comp tags.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 (primary) / SBR (secondary) / SBC - w/SC 7.0.1beta - Win XP
Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - D-Link DIR-655