There are two kinds of "VA logic" at play: 1) The logic that determines
whether or not an album is a compilation, and 2) The logic that
determines how compilations should be displayed in the interface.

In my opinion, the logic for #1 is PERFECT...and I don't use that word
lightly because I'm very particular about how I tag my collection.  If
you're willing to do some minor housekeeping with explicit COMPILATION
tags, you have the flexibility to do anything you want, without
breaking compatibility with other music management software.
Considering how many organizational styles there are out there, this is
pretty much the only way I can imagine accommodating them all.
Excellent work, SlimDevices!

The logic for #2 on the other hand...could use some cleaning up.  For
example, I'm one of those dinosaurs who pretty much exclusively plays
albums straight through.  But what happens when you have an artist with
a full album, but they are also featured on a compilation?  Right now,
no matter which compilation options you choose, when you browse by
artist, you get the full albums, plus little compilation "stubs" that
only show the one or two songs from that compilation associated with
that artist.  If I'm interested in playing the compilation at all, I'd
want to play the whole thing, because that's my style.  So for me, the
compilations should either not be listed at all under the artists, or
they should be listed as complete albums.  Ideally if they are listed
under the artist, they would all be sorted after the artist's proper
albums.  But then that's just for album-playing dinosaurs like
me--others would argue vehemently that this is exactly the wrong way to
do things, and they'd be right--for them.

#2 is the path to insanity for software developers though.  Getting a
"YES" or "NO" answer to the question "Is this a compilation?" is
well-suited to automation and SD deals with the problem admirably.  How
to display that data is an open-ended question with nearly infinite
answers, and that's NOT quite so well-suited for automation.

--
CatBus