I believe that the controller headphone audio stuff is going into 7.2,
currently. It seems like what used to be known as the "trunk"
development has been split into three trunks: 7.1, 7.2 & 7.3.  I think
that most of the 7.1 development thrust thus far has been to refactor a
lot of the java script under the hood of the web interface.

It may be that the controller audio out 7.2 feature could be moved
"down" into 7.1 for its release if the development goes well.

AFAIK, Richard T is completely rewriting all the audio code that went
into softsqueeze and squeezeslave for this effort.  As far as I'm
concerned, this is a hopeful sign: I imagine that Richard knows the old
code better than anyone and he knows all it's limitations.  No one else
would be in a better position to justify "starting over from scratch"
than Richard.

I feel confident enough in this that I just placed an order for 3
controllers and I fully expect to be able to hear audio out of them
before the end of the summer, though I also expect that I'll have to
run beta code to do so.

--
gharris999