Thanks for all the responses and ideas.  One that a couple of you hit on
I will definitely try.

The wired and wireless routers I think both are providing DHCP.  I can
tell because the IP range on the wired is 192.168.0.x while those
connecting to the wireless show 192.168.2.x.  I will try to disable
DHCP on the wireless and see if that helps.

Several times I did unplug wireless outright so the system would act in
bridge mode.  I still had lots of connection problems.  Hopefully after
updating the controller and fixing DHCP I can progress.

On the controller note, I went to my old home this morning and
connected my wired and wireless routers to my FIOS connection.  After a
few failed attempts I was able to get the controller to update and
reset.  I can see that the upgrade took.  I've not gotten any further
with the connection problems yet, but anyway...

After the controller updated, when I go to the update option it still
says that another update is available.  I don't have the wording in
front of me but it basically says that I can "upgrade to version ?".
Whenever I try, it fails.

It thinks there is a newer software version but it doesn't know what
the version is - just displays a ?.  Odd...

--
doggieflyer