Phil Leigh wrote:
>> Other than that it's the default setting on most network devices, is
>> there any good reason to use DHCP for static network devices whose IP
>> address should never change?

> Bill - Not in my book! - I never use DHCP... (but some people seem to
> like it)

I run DHCP on everything. Not only is it the default, but I really
dislike having to run to boxes and manage their IP settings.

But, and this is key, and where Phil and I actually agree in spirit,
I run DHCP on two linux servers (backing each other up, failover, etc.)
where I assign fixed IP addresses to every MAC address in my house. and
I run a bind/dns, so each IP address gets a nice fixed fully qualified name.

What this does is let me manage all the assignment of IP addresses in
one place, while allowing the boxes to all use DHCP

When I get a new box, I plug it in, and it gets DHCP. When a buddy
brings a laptop, they get DHCP. Yet all my boxes, (SqueezeBoxen,
Transporter, Receiver, Controller, laptops, music server, even the WiFi
access point) get fixed addresses.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/