PĂ©tur wrote:
> well if the slimdevices fanboys are happy to close the thread, I guess
> we can all go home.
>
> The final argument seems to be: no it is not bloatware, just throw more
> hardware against it. Sad times are ahead :(
>
> Apart from that, we obviously have a different view on what 'silent'
> is. Getting a system with a cpu that has a termal envelope of +100W to
> run silent is *very* costly. Unless you mean by noisless that you can't
> hear it when it is in the server room and you are in another.

Obviously. Who in their right mind would put a server in their living
room? ;)

> My system(s) stand in the living room, and my wife is very picky when
> it comes to noise. *very*. Try getting your super 4 core 4GB
> dreammachine to run fanless.... Your argument is just silly.

Don't put your server in the living room.
Disks aren't noiseless either.

> You also completely miss the point that when it takes +100MB RAM, it
> will probably also use quite a bit of CPU power to execute the lot.
>
> I see your point and I can tell you why they are not ok for me, now
> look at it from my point of view. Given the functionality SS gives,
> +100MB is just way over it.

Rewriting the server in a different language is a huge job and it's
probably not going to happen. So you better accept it as part of the
package or go the Sonos route instead. There used to be an alternative
server written in Java, I believe. Haven't heard much of it lately...

Regards,
Peter