On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Jonathan Roberts <robertsthebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Brian,

Your first comment makes a lot of sense. I think that option is definitely off the table.

Paying a member fee is an interesting thought. I guess I hadn't considered that. I have been mostly thinking that it makes sense to give full time staff, payed or not, special representation on the board. In other words, I'm not sure I want a possibility for someone to be able to just "buy in" to that class, whatever we call it.

I feel that Brian's wording is important here: "paying a *nominal* fee.

It does a couple things for us:

1. Requires that snowdrift class members reveal their identity (at least, with the state of money today). -> prevents abuse 2. Requires some level of commitment. -> avoids the people who would just through whatever hoops because "why not?"
3. Provides VERY clear criteria. This is probably the biggest gain.

We could also do things like offer gratis 'promotion' to snowdrift class for paid employees to avoid any weirdness of "we're paying you to pay us to have special representation."

~S