Hey all,

I've been trying to solve the problem of what makes a "snowdrift project
team member?" Snowdrift project team members elect a special representative
on the board of directors, and it is assumed that they are tied in some way
to the work of the co-op, but it's unclear what qualifications this group
of people has, how their roles should be organized, what expectations
should be put on them and who has the authority to ad them to that class.

I propose that instead of one class of "team members" that we have
"employees" and "contributors." The "employees" would be hired and overseen
by the general manager and would elect a special board representative. The
"contributors" could be a much more open list; it could give credit to
anyone who's helped out, list their contact info, and indicate whether they
are still actively working on anything and what it is. There is a question
in this framework of whether this class should also have a special board
representative. I would say no, except that I think it is important that
there be a designated advocate for anyone who thinks they should be getting
payed for the work they're doing.

The biggest downside to this system I see is that we don't know, especially
starting out, if we're going to have any money to pay people, even if they
are indispensable to the ongoing functioning of snowdrift. One solution to
this would be to let the GM include "unpayed staff" in the class at their
discretion. We could also have it be a job qualification for any potential
employee that they be listed as "active" on the "contributors" list, which
could be governed by an algorithm that measures a base level of activity on
the site.

Thoughts?

-Jon