To me, it seems like arrears is the clear superior option for MVP. Holding funds adds significant legal complexity for what seems like a small benefit -- and it's something that we could transition to later anyway.

Imagine we're doing arrears, because that's the easier way. Then, because we think the benefits of holding are worth it, we invest in a lawyer and figure out a legal way to do it. It should be relatively easy to modify the existing system to simply pay into the arrears system from the bank account where we're holding funds instead of from a patron's own credit card.

So we want to offer gift cards? Same deal, or we can partner with a bank that already offers something like that (similar to http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/visa-gift-cards -- but more morally palatable than walmart :P).

The only disadvantage I can see with arrears that absolutely could not be worked around would be if no payment processor met our moral standards. Except -- imagine in a few years when snowdrift.coop has become wildly successful: maybe now it's time to start our own ethical payment processor (or gnu taler, or ethereum/maidsafe as discussed elsewhere, is up and running and stable/trusted).

BOTTOM LINE: When comparing a thing that we know will work for us on launch to a thing that needs further exploration, I need to pick the former.