On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 03:48:54PM -0400, Stephen Michel wrote:
> To me, it seems like arrears is the clear superior option for MVP. Holding
> funds adds significant legal complexity for what seems like a small benefit
> -- and it's something that we could transition to later anyway.
>
> Imagine we're doing arrears, because that's the easier way. Then, because we
> think the benefits of holding are worth it, we invest in a lawyer and figure
> out a legal way to do it. It should be relatively easy to modify the
> existing system to simply pay into the arrears system from the bank account
> where we're holding funds instead of from a patron's own credit card.
>
> So we want to offer gift cards? Same deal, or we can partner with a bank
> that already offers something like that (similar to
> http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/visa-gift-cards -- but more morally palatable
> than walmart :P).
>
> The only disadvantage I can see with arrears that absolutely could not be
> worked around would be if no payment processor met our moral standards.
> Except -- imagine in a few years when snowdrift.coop has become wildly
> successful: maybe now it's time to start our own ethical payment processor
> (or gnu taler, or ethereum/maidsafe as discussed elsewhere, is up and
> running and stable/trusted).
>
> BOTTOM LINE: When comparing a thing that we know will work for us on launch
> to a thing that needs further exploration, I need to pick the former.

This might be a case of "complicated for programmers" v. "complicated and
expensive for lawyers". In that case, I would vote for the option that makes
things complicated for the programmers, because it's much easier and less
expensive.

I actually have no idea how to actually go about arranging a transaction between
any of these third-party payment systems, especially from a Haskell program.

> BOTTOM LINE: When comparing a thing that we know will work for us on launch
> to a thing that needs further exploration, I need to pick the former.

All of these options need further exploration. None of them are very easy.

Peter Harpending <pe...@harpending.org>