On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Peter Harpending <pe...@harpending.org> wrote:
On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 03:48:54PM -0400, Stephen Michel wrote:
To me, it seems like arrears is the clear superior option for MVP. Holding funds adds significant legal complexity for what seems like a small benefit
 -- and it's something that we could transition to later anyway.

Imagine we're doing arrears, because that's the easier way. Then, because we think the benefits of holding are worth it, we invest in a lawyer and figure
 out a legal way to do it. It should be relatively easy to modify the
existing system to simply pay into the arrears system from the bank account where we're holding funds instead of from a patron's own credit card.

So we want to offer gift cards? Same deal, or we can partner with a bank
 that already offers something like that (similar to
http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/visa-gift-cards -- but more morally palatable
 than walmart :P).

The only disadvantage I can see with arrears that absolutely could not be worked around would be if no payment processor met our moral standards. Except -- imagine in a few years when snowdrift.coop has become wildly successful: maybe now it's time to start our own ethical payment processor (or gnu taler, or ethereum/maidsafe as discussed elsewhere, is up and
 running and stable/trusted).

BOTTOM LINE: When comparing a thing that we know will work for us on launch to a thing that needs further exploration, I need to pick the former.

This might be a case of "complicated for programmers" v. "complicated and expensive for lawyers". In that case, I would vote for the option that makes things complicated for the programmers, because it's much easier and less
expensive.

BOTTOM LINE: When comparing a thing that we know will work for us on launch
to a thing that needs further exploration, I need to pick the former.

All of these options need further exploration. None of them are very easy.

I might be wrong, but to me it seems like "complicated for programmers" is a given in either scenario, as either way we'll need to interface with some kind of external API, whether it be arrears with Stripe or credit cards (receiving funds deposited into an account).

I actually have no idea how to actually go about arranging a transaction between any of these third-party payment systems, especially from a Haskell program.

It seems like the issue is figuring out how to call their API from Haskell. If the Stripe people are half as helpful as Aaron seems to think they will be, I am not terribly worried about that. It'll be challenge for sure, but not orders of magnitude larger than holding funds, unless I'm missing something major.