On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:06, CPHennessy wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:20, Jack & Naree wrote:
> >  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> > I hate the automatic formatting in Openoffice, it's so
> > annoying, MS Word is such a refreshing respite from the
> > restrictiveness of OO.

Choice is a good thing.  I don't think that anyone in this project
would ever claim that OOo is perfect.

BTW, Jack, given the choices that ARE available on the market
(Microsoft Word; WordPerfect; AbiWord; OOo; Koffice; TextMaker;
StarOffice, etc.) when someone comes into an open source project
and leads their email with a sharply worded criticism, I often
wonder why that person bothers to spend the time composing the
email, rather than simply stop using the program, especially when
the program is free, and the user has lost no money in purchasing
the program.

Robust and critical discussion on open source lists are important to
the improvement of open source code.  And yet when sometimes the
subtlies of a poster's message can sometimes leave me wondering if
the sender is a troll.  I understand a troll who, who whatever
reason, derives personal entertainment from starting arguments on
lists.

I personally appreciate that you have tried the product, and yet, as
CPH pointed out, the fact that you complained so bitterly, coupled
with the fact that you are obviously a sophisticated user capable
of finding the simple fixes for your problems causes me to wonder
if you are trolling.

When I see a message from a troll, I usually reply only to urge
other members of the list to evaluate if they agree that the troll
is, in fact, a troll; and if they agree, to consider ignoring that
person altogether, as trolls literally feed off of the energy of
others.  Trolls appear to LIKE wasting others' time; that is the
very definition of a troll, IMHO.

I'm thinking that you probably are trolling, and so I will ignore
the detailed issues that you have raised.  If you are not trolling,
and you do, indeed, have questions that you would like answered,
then you will probably get the most detailed answers from the
users@openoffice.org list, as the users list is a gathering of
people who like solving problems such as those you have raised.

You can also find tech support at the link below.  If you're not
trolling, of course.

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/component/option,com_weblinks/catid,76/Itemid,4/