Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Binary standardisation is bad and I don't expect it to get any better
> because it rubs too many people the wrong way. Achieving it would
> drastically slow down growth rate anyway (ie the LSB is pretty much a dead
> end few people care about)

I will not argue against that - we are far OT meanwhile and I assume you
know this much better than I.

> For the template location problem I'd say getting KDE, OO.o and Gnome
> Office at the same table (probably a freedesktop.org one) should be
> sufficient to hammer a spec quickly (basically where should they be
> dropped in /usr/share)

Yes, that sounds like a good start. If we can find common directories
for all relevant Linux distros and all apps supporting the OASIS format,
that would be great!

> Then you add a tunable in the apps to allow specifying template locations,
> put the freedesktop.org value there, and 85% of your users will never need
> to change it (I say 85% because some people mainly corporate admins find
> bliss in ignoring common standards and getting paid to fix the mess
> afterwards)

:-)

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.