On Mon, May 30, 2005 20:23:13 PM -0400, Daniel Carrera
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Chris BONDE wrote:

> >Now the basic concept of rewarding a person for disclosing their
> >idea to the world instead of keeping it a secret is good (patent).
>
> That is neither the intention, nor the effect of patents.

As far as I know, it indeed *is*. I (government):

1) make sure that everybody can learn all the details of new
   technologies by *forcing* inventors to disclose what they did.
2) keep inventors motivated to keep inventing while giving away by
   granting them a temporary monopoly.

> The intention of patents was to encourage people to work on
> developing ideas with the promise that, in return, they would be
> granted a temporary monopoly.

No. Without patents people would have invented and sold anyway, just
keeping the secret on how they did stuff. Meaning that their monopoly,
without the patent papers which are mandated just to share knowledge
as *early* as possible, could have lasted even longer than a patent
duration.

Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the
set, I go into the other room and read a book.      - Groucho Marx