Ian Lynch wrote:
Your average Dell user will probably not understand how a car might
be able to run on something other than gasoline.

Would you quit with the Dell nonsense? I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and am working on a Master's in IT. My Dell has been a good little machine for me. And I perfectly well understand how a car might be able to run on a variety of fuels and why you can't just throw ethanol in your average gas-burner.

Nobody with a Dell cares about file formats.

I do. And I understand why it matters.

Fortunately, these people have virtually no influence in determining
technological change.

Hmmmph!