On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 12:25:21 PM +0100, Henrik Sundberg
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> 2005/11/9, Andrew Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> <snip>
> > I think it's obvious to anyone that such ideas as "with enough
> > eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" is something between wildly
> > misleading and utter crap. It certainly doesn't apply to
> > OOo.

+1

> I do not agree with this kind of reasoning.

The problem of that slogan is when you equate end users with eyeballs
and "bug shallow, i.e. exposed" with "bug on its way to be fixed". In
other words, it is the belief that the success of any FOSS program or
its being open source, will by itself increase in a meaningful manner
the number of people who *will*:

     look at its source because it's available and provide patches

     or contribute to it in any other way.

Almost all the people who started using FOSS in the last what, five
years? and almost everybody who will start in the near/medium future
are NOT programmers, technical writers or anything that may ever make
them contributors in any way. Their lives and times are simply NOT
centered around computers, programming or writing documentation. I
only use FOSS (and I started in 1995) but I can be much more useful to
all the "communities" I can think of in many other ways than closing
myself in a room to study until (if ever) I become a mediocre OO.o or
Linux kernel programmer.

> (I did not like the subject of the current thread discussing this,
> so I reused this old one)

There are still many good reasons for Open Source or Free Software.
It's just that the more traditionals, those most frequently thrown
around, are not so meaningful anymore (or as widely) in the current
world.

Ciao,
        Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi