On 15/03/07, Jonathon Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chris wrote:

> >A GUI interface is intrinsically user hostile,and best avoided.
> >Any GUI is going to be "awful:" and dysfunctional. The only question
> >is how dysfunctional it is going to be.
>
> with that kind of attitude a lot of the stuff i see in the openoffice
> 'user experience' makes a lot more sense

I forgot to include the trivial example.
Add 1 000 colours to the colour palette of OOo, using the GUI.
Add 1 000 colours to the colour palette of OOo, by editing the raw file.

Which one takes less time?
Which one is easier to do?

I know which option I use, when I create new OOo colour palettes.
To create my 16^8 colour palette for OOo, I cheated, by writing a
python script to generate it for me.

Freind that's not an interface that's an API, the API of read/write
and plain text config fles, the Unix way. But it's not an interface.

You could theoretically script a GUI as long as it was defined with
the appropriate function calls, a GUI presents design challenges that
A CLI doesn't and that is one of them, wouldn't it be great if a GUI
API that did that automagically... hmm

--
Chris Monahan