Larry Gusaas said on 09.04.2007 09:57:
Peter Reaper wrote:
Larry Gusaas said on 09.04.2007 01:25:
Peter Reaper wrote:
Larry Gusaas said on 08.04.2007 21:48:
Peter Reaper wrote:
Michael Adams said on 08.04.2007 15:59:
<clip />
The quoted article does not say it is mandatory in any way anywhere.

Yes it does. Re-read it. It says: "*Separate* three or more items in a series with a comma." That sounds pretty mandatory to me.

http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#26

True, but that does not make the article correct .A was previously posted by Adrian Try "It's interesting - I was taught at school not to use a comma before the 'and' in a list." I was taught the same. Did you look at the article in Wikipedia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma
The issue is not as clearcut as you claim it is.

<clip />
Also, I was merely pointing out an error in Adrian's signature (which appears in *every* post of his) in the hope that he would *welcome* the opportunity to correct a highly visible (but minor) error and that he might appreciate the opportunity to learn something about the language he is using. He even *thanked* me for it.
<clip />

He was very polite. Did you look at the Wikipedia article he cited ? The comma was not necessarily an error according to some other opinions.

Yes, I did read it. Interesting read! It is pretty clear there that in *American* English, the serial comma is virtually always used (see "Style guides") (AP are traitors ;-) ). I also found the reasons (see "Ambiguity") *for* its use far more compelling than those *against* its use.

I live in America. Which part of it are you referring to? North, South or Central?

That's an irrelevant distinction.

Is it? You said American English, not U.S. English. American could be anywhere on tow continents.

Logically, you are right. I find it interesting that non-US-Americans love to point out that America is not only the US, as is US-American didn't know this. However, since the USA so massively dominates (economically, militarily, culturally, living-standard-wise, etc.) the American continent, it is pretty obvious to most that when talking about most topics (e.f., English grammar!) that the USA is meant.

It seems that it is often those who are resentful or jealous that the USA is a dominant power in the world who point out this "politically correct" distinction.

Yes, US-Americans are often naive about the US being the center of the universe. But you know what, in many ways, it is. Be happy it's not Iran or North Korea or China or Russia, or even Europe (can you say bureaucracy?).

http://engram-backtalk.blogspot.com/2007/04/quality-of-life-in-america-and-europe.html
http://engram-backtalk.blogspot.com/2007/04/quality-of-life-in-america-and-europe_07.html

So, I see people pointing out that distinction for what it is. An attempt to divert a discussion that is not going the way they want, and a way of expressing their (irrational) dislike of the US.

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/
http://lizaswelt.blogspot.com/

Have you read the thread and the wiki page?

Of course. I wasn't sure you had read the Wikipedia article by your previous comments.

I'll admit, I hadn't.

Anyhow, it's a minor issue, and I never intended to make it any more than that.

I found it interesting that the old empire (UK) and its (former) colonies have a different (IMO less ideal) convention/rule for this.

Thanks for the history lesson. I always thought that the U.S. of A. was a former British colony.

It was. Relevance?

You stated that "the old empire (UK) and its (former) colonies have a different (IMO less ideal) convention/rule for this". Since the U.S.A. was a former colony, I was wondering who has the different rule that you refer to.

Well, the US forcefully separated from the UK and has relinquished almost all of its baggage (stamps, currency, queen having official status, accent, etc.)

My reasons for preferring the serial comma are based on reason and not national pride.

Good. You have learnt something. Previously you were vehemently insisting that using the serial comma was the only right way. Now you acknowledge that it is just a preference.

You're drawing an grossly exaggerated conclusion. I thought that serial commas was the correct way for US English, and that it made more sense in the vast majority of cases. Now, I still think that serial commas is the correct way for US English, and that it made more sense in the vast majority of cases. The only difference is that I learnt that there is *some* opposition to serial commas in the US, and that the UK and the "other" (non-US) British colonies (and, to my dismay, Germany) prefer no serial comma.
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust:  www.GetFirefox.com