2007/4/21, Rod Engelsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> while OOo will block any inheritance of styling as soon as you touch
>> any attribute in a style
>
> It blocks the inheritance of the attribute that was changed.  It does
> not block the inheritence of ather, unchanged attributes.

That behavior isn't entirely obvious. It should be made explicit with
the use of "Don't Change" options or something similar.

That is really something that I would need. That would make life easier when
using conditional formatting, for example.

I just want to add that, when switching to OpenOffice.org a few years ago, I
found styles to be the big time saver for me, especially when creating big
documents. Actually I used styles in Word too before I knew of
OpenOffice.org, but I never found it as useful as in Writer. These days I
find Word very hard to use, probably because I am not used to it anymore.

*Way out of topic (so don't read this unless you are too curious), but still
somewhat related:*
Actually, last time I wrote something "important", it was a report of some
kind. It was not very big, only 29 pages or something like that, but I also
needed to have a Word version of it (I would email it as PDF, but in case
someone wanted to use it as a base for future documents, I needed to send it
in a format so that the document could be edited), so I also saved it as a
Word 97/2000/XP document. Then I opened it with Word to make it look exactly
like the original document (since the converter is not perfect, but that's
another story). Then I found that there was some things I couldn't do at all
with Word (I think it was Word XP, but it COULD have been Word 2000), no
matter how hard I tried. So using Word only, there was obviously no way I
could have created that document exactly the way I wanted to. The problem
was not that some formattings disappeared in the "translation", the problem
were that it seemed to be impossible to do with Word. One example was the
table of contents. I had to remove the original one and create a new one
from scratch in Word, since there was just too many issues about it. Of
course I could easily create that in Word, but I failed to make it look like
the original. The options was just not there in Word, so the new table of
contents never looked as good as in the original Writer document.

So, styles or not, they seem to work for me. Maybe because I don't think
that everything should work as it does in Word. Word is Word, OpenOffice.orgis
OpenOffice.org. If you know Word, you might find OpenOffice.org not too
intuitive. On the other hand, which at least is true in my case, if you know
OpenOffice.org, Word seems to be not too intuitive (as I said, I failed
doing such as easy thing as making a table of contents looking exactly like
I wanted in Word, but in OpenOffice.org I found it to be very easy). I guess
it's all a matter of what we are used to and also a matter of attitude. Do
we want to try something different? If so, I guess we should be prepared of
that the different thing isn't an exact copy of the old thing. If it was, it
wasn't new.

So yes, I use styles all the time and I just love it, but there are a lot of
things about them to improve. However, just a few improvements (the most
important ones) would probably mean a huge improvement to the intuitiveness
of the product.

I'm truly sorry for using so many words. The reason for it is that my
English sucks. There are so many words I don't know, so I have to use the
few words I know, which cause this overflow of words. Once again, I'm sorry
for that.

Johnny Andersson