André Wyrwa wrote:
Hei,

I would treat character styling as a resource or reference style that would be chosen to apply to higher levels. IOW, instead of directly specifying character properties in the paragraph style you would choose the character style (primarily font and size) that you wished to apply to the paragraph from a drop box.

Precisely. OOo follows this paradigm in some places (i.e. assignment of
numbering styles to paragraph styles) but then breaks it (direct
character attributs in paragraph styles) and also simply lacks simple UI
shortcuts to managing assigned styles. I.e. the paragraph style dialog
should have a character style combo with a "manage" button that directly
opens a character styles dialo, so that a new character style can be
created without leaving the paragraph style dialog first.

In other matters, i see your points but i'm not quite sure if adding a
whole bunch of style levels helps the user.

André.

The primary one I would advocate for is the Word Style level. It would add convenience and solve some problems. Try creating a run-on heading, for example. There is an outstanding RFE on it. The problem is that Headings are species of Paragraph styles so therefore headings must always be delineated by CR-LF pairs. To fix this you need to either create a way to have a paragraph that doesn't end with a LF or... something. In my world headings would be species of Word Styles and you could designate a word or continuous sequence of words to be a heading (with the restriction that they must start a paragraph).

Rod