…

> Of the above categories, number 4 and, to a certain extent, number 1 are
> the only ones which, in my mind, fall under the paradigm of a "Style".

+ 1000

…

> When you dig down deep enough into this issue, it seems to me that the
> root cause is that we have a program feature that's designed from the
> programmer's perspective rather than the user's perspective.

You're sooo wrong here. Even OO.o developers are hopelessly confused.
Because the thing is named "styles" and mainly used for 4. you find
developers trying to treat everything as "presentation". Even when as
you've just noted whoever designed this intended it for more.

It's real hard to design a good UI when you don't understand your own
software concepts. Every part of the OO.o UI that uses styles for
something other than presentation is a disaster because the designers
try to make non-presentation actions behave as presentation.

You have several content levels

1. basic text
2. intrinsic text attributes like langage (you can flip all the switches
you want once a sentence is written in one language it won't
autotranslate in another, an hyperlink stays an hyperlink, etc) ie
semantics
3. document structure (organisation in chapters, etc)
4. presentation (fonts, colours, etc)

A good tool lets you change a content level without touching lower
levels. OO.o spends its time trying to force you to change everything at
once, because everything is a style attribute, and no one ever untangled
the layers (in the UI or in dev minds)

--
Nicolas Mailhot