Le Mar 12 juin 2007 18:08, Mathias Bauer a écrit :

> Would it help to use the WebDAV API of, say, SVN and let OOo store
> each stream separately into a WebDAV folder, this folder becoming the
> representation of the OOo file?

a folder is probably the way to go. Probably adding a special sequence
in the name to limit collisions with users-created folders

> Perhaps OOo would need to do some VCS
> bookkeeping besides that but could that be the way to go?

I haven't looked at it closely lately but I seem to remember the
Webdav versionning model was pretty simplistic and CVS-like. SVN is a
little better but not much.

IMHO if whould be really worthwhile to look at next-gen VCSes like git
and mercurial instead :
- they have a distributed model very close to how office people manage
their documents
- they don't need a webdav/SVN server set up somewhere
- they don't require always-on network access to said server
- they are fast (esp. git)
- a a result SVN is losing traction pretty quickly

With mercurial or git you could either have two users share docs via
the VCS feed or one user with a local vcs backend used to track the
changes in the docs people send him by mail. Maybe even an odx variant
where a copy of  the vcs db is embedded in the document (another big
feature of modern FLOSS VCSes is they made it cheap and easy to manage
small repositories, so you could have a repository dedicated to a
single document)

> Or how would you suggest to make OOo "aware" of the VCS backend?

Making OOo "aware" of the backend is probably required. With
collaborative work you get multiple branches/versions with change
collisions, and the VCS can only resolve a part of them by itself. At
some point you need a tool aware of the document format that presents
a conflict-resolution UI to the user to select what should be kept.

Also the people that would benefit the most from modern VCS-like
tracking are not developpers but office workers, and they won't touch
any tool that requires them to leave their office tool.

--
Nicolas Mailhot