On Friday 20 July 2007 04:35, Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg wrote:

Hey Kay

This discussion needs to be had on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list.
as well so I've cc'ed it to that list

> Hi Yo,
>
> Graham wrote:
> > Jonathon may be overstating it a little but not by much.  Finding stuff
> > on the Wiki is a mission, possibly it was designed by the same ones who
> > designed issuezilla!  ;)
>
> So, lets go on to improve it :-)
>
> > We do need a rethink of the way everything is mapped on the site.  I
> > don't however know how much (if any) we are restricted by the Collabnet
> > framework.
>
> I somehow have a feeling, but anyway, first we should know what we want
> to achieve, technical issues can be tackled later on ...
>
> > There is an Art wiki for instance but no link or explanation about it on
> > the Art frontpage.
>
> You mean http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/index.html ? Never have
> seen that before ... couldn't find the Art wiki though.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Art

Not busy, not surprising

> > The Sitemap http://www.openoffice.org/sitemap.html doesn't mention the
> > wiki at all
>
> Yeah, seems that we want to keep some things secret ;-)

And seemingly doing a good job at doing that!  :)

> > There is a marketing wiki but again no mention or link to it on the front
> > page.
>
> Some links are pointing into the wiki, but please see below.
>
> > We need to define what people come to the site for:
> >
> > The three largest headers would be off the top of my head:
> > Download
> > Learn
> > Contribute
>
> I for myself basically differentiate between
> - users, using Writer or Calc etc.,
> - developers, using the API in one or the other way e.g. from Java or
> C++, and
> - implementors, wanting to contribute to OOos code base.
>
> Different people have different needs, though I am not a friend of
> artificially separating these groups, but may be to just provide
> different views to the site.

Agreed, don't separate these groups then.  We use headers according to what
people want to achieve by visiting the site rather than "title"

So the three things that one should be able to achieve here are:

Obtain the software or the source code or documentation or Art - Hence
"Download"

Find out how to Use it, Build it, Market it, where to get it and so on - Hence
"Learn"

Upon rethinking I will change the last one to "Participate" rather than
contribute. So direct to mailing lists, Project Home Pages, NLC etc.

> > It seems to me that the Wiki has been an addon which we haven't figured
> > out how to deal with in terms of promotion and so forth.
>
> The wiki is actually just a workaround for Collab not being able or
> willing to provide wiki functionality for the main site, IMHO we _do_
> _not_ want to have more than one site, but just want to use simple
> editing capabilities wikis do provide.

I am a fan of Wikis as long as they are accessible to all

> > Cheers
> > Yo
>
>   Kay

"GET LEGAL - GET OPENOFFICE.ORG"
http://why.openoffice.org
ISO 26300 compliant

Graham Lauder,

"GET DRESSED GET OOOGEAR"
Promotional Gear for the discerning OOo Advocate
http://www.ooogear.co.nz

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz