Graham Lauder wrote:
<snip />
Actually Sean is talking about something entirely different than and separate from the whole tabbed interface/MDI thing. I agree with him and have thought about this quite a lot for over a year. It is a function that is lacking in most document producing applications.

This is the way I believe it should be implemented and the whys Producing a document at a desk with a pen and paper is not a linear activity, however doing the same thing on a computer forces you to become linear. What I think Sean is talking about is analogous to a note pad and a deskpad that you can scribble on while you are producing a document. Programmers tend to be linear thinkers, it comes with the territory. However a script writer for instance has a myriad of things to think about while writing a screenplay. Lighting notes, costume stuff, continuity notes, properties, direction detail, characterisation, character histories. Some of this will make it into the main document. Some will become a separate bunch of notes, some will become appendices. None of it lends itself to a linear document production.

So a document interface could have a group of tab-like labels down the side of the page. Analogous to those little page markers that I and I dare say many others use to mark pages or passages in a book for use during a lecture. The function would be able to be toggled on and off like Stylist and have probably two default labels. Say "Notes" and "Bibliography" with the ability to add more as required.

Part of the functionality would enable the user to define where if anywhere these pages would be placed within a printed document. Linking to notes from the main document should also be there.

The only name I could think of for this functionality is Deskpad

I've cc'd this to the User Experience list ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (forgive the cross post) because this is right up their alley. If people think is a reasonable suggestion I'll do an RFE. I couldn't find anything like this anywhere in issue tracker... That doesn't mean to say it's not there.

But it would be a brilliant piece of functionality. It would certainly save me having to have notebooks all over my desk and my deskpads would survive longer. :)

Cheers
GL

That sounds like a cracking idea to me! You seem to have "grokked" the way most people's brains work, even if their word processor doesn't allow them to...

I'd certainly encourage this kind of feature development.

Alan

--
The way out is open!
http://www.theopensourcerer.com