On Apr 17, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> The third is consistency between preview and symbol. At least on Windows most
> file previews don't only show the content of the file, but the application
> symbol at the lower right corner. This additional information helps not only
> to know about the application, but also to distinguish between different
> files (on my Ubuntu, I can't differ between a PDF and an ODG file from the
> preview, I have to look at the file extension).

On the Mac, the icon for a non-graphics file is a miniature of the first page
of the document, if that is meaningful, badged near the bottom with "TXT"
"PDF", etc., if the operating system knows how to do it. Otherwise, it seems to
show an icon from the default application. There is /some/ differentiation
possible; ODF files show modified OOo icons depending on type: test,
spreadsheet, etc..

--
John W Kennedy
"...if you had to fall in love with someone who was evil, I can see why it was