Larry Gusaas schrieb:
On 2010/04/18 11:52 AM  John W Kennedy wrote:
On the Mac, the icon for a non-graphics file is a miniature of the first page of the document, if that is meaningful, badged near the bottom with "TXT" "PDF", etc., if the operating system knows how to do it.

That only happens if you have "Show icon preview" checked in the view options.

I don't use that option. It is much more useful for me to see the program icon for opening that file. The new ODF icons are practically useless for that purpose. The icons should indicate the program opening that file. The new icons are useless for that purpose.

It's on purpose that they don't show any symbol for the application opening the document. In the eyes of the supporters of these ODF icons it is crucial to transport via the icons the information that ODF is application independent.

As this decision has not been discussed and decided in the community, I asked the CC to decide on this topic.

As alternative and possible compromise I added the new OOo symbol to the right lower corner of the icons:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/File:ODF_textdocument_different_sizes_S.png

For other applications these area might be used in a similar way.
Mockup (in low quality and with some symbols that might not be preferred by the application providers, just to show the idea):
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/File:ODF_textdocument_128x128_with_diff_apps.png

Best regards

Bernhard