Hi,

On 10/15/2010 03:22 PM, Christian Lippka wrote:
Hi André,

Am 15.10.2010 15:09, schrieb Andre Schnabel:
Hi,

that's not true at all. We established the release meeting some years
ago with good participation from non Oracle people to speak about
possible exceptions from the rules within the release process.

I agree on that.

But that said, it is also not correct to say, that the Oracle gstreamer
implementation has been overruled by "people from the comunity, one
who is
now Foundation Funding Member and the other is from Novell".

My comment at this time was, that the gstreamer implementation was pushed
into the OOO330 branch after feature freeze (and just 5 days after
announcing, that there is some work on this). From my side - it was
a comment but I'm fully aware, that it is up to the RSM to see, if
exceptions should be made.

I did not refer to your comment, I refereed to Fridrich Strba from
Novell and Rene Engelhard who is now Founding Members. Both voted
strongly against taking Gstreamer as an exception.

Heh, I remember that IRC meeting quite well. The gstreamer support was already integrated (but fortunately only published in "next" and RE had quite a bit of extra work to remove it and rebuild everything again). I was quite mad at everyone involved at that time. It's certainly a fine example where Oracle observed an objection by non-Oracle members of the OOo release meeting despite the fact that it was highly inconvenient. I find it quite ironic to have now this whole gstreamer support thing turned against us.

Note, I don't say that they should not have done that. It was all part
of a process where Oracle was overruled by other community members.
A democratic decision that we respected.

My point is that if people bring up the missing GStreamer support from
OOo 3.3 as an argument pro Foundation/Libre, they should at least know
the facts.

The arguments from the Foundation people often have the tone of "It is
not the people working at Oracle who contribute to OOo we have a problem
with but the company." so it is fair to also point out that many people
on the Foundation project are either self employed and making money with
OpenOffice.org or are part of a company who makes money with
OpenOffice.org. I'm not saying that they should not do that, I'm happy
for anyone who has a job and makes money. But people should take into
account that not only Oracle has Business interests.

Regards,
Christian

Regards,
  Heiner