I'll let someone who uses JSON more than me answer about the idiom of the
JSON traversal, but it looks OK to me.  If you are using the 1.1 Restlet
API, you want to override storeRepresentation() instead of put().

For my 2 cents, I don't think you need to explain the HTTP PUT operation.
Whatever implementation language and/or HTTP client library people are
using, they should have documentation and/or existing knowledge for that --
and the means may vary *dramatically*.  If there is a very likely use case
(JavaScript and XmlHttpRequest, etc.) you can document it in full.
Otherwise, maybe give some pointers to existing Web documentation
... personally, I wouldn't reinvent the wheel in explaining how to make HTTP
calls -- or create JSON structured objects.  That seems like a heavy
documentary load to lift.

- R