Hi Ian,

I believe you should override Resource.storeRepresentation() and override
Resource.allowPut() -> true instead of overriding Resource.put()

As for your documentation concerns, I would explain that sending JSON is no
different than sending any other text-based request entity.  You should
probably point them to a more general document on how to build JSON strings.

Two pieces of advice on opening up to third-party clients.  First, some
languages (or their associated libraries) other than Java have poor or
non-existent support for the HTTP PUT method.  Just be aware of this when
recommending implementation languages.

Second, while JSON is slightly easier to work with programmatically, a lot
of languages don't have native support for it.  Depending on who your
clients are, they might balk at having to download and install a third party
library to access your service.  XML might work out better because most
languages have native support for it.

Kevin