On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 02:08:55 Craig Bergdorf wrote:
> My thoughts and feedback:
>
> I agree SynHak will likely have a busy year, hopefully we can say that
> every year.   We are sure to face other splits in opinion.  This particular
> issue is very one sided, with less than 20% on one side, but what about the
> next one, where it is near 50%.  I don't think it's possible to get people
> to agree when arguments are deeply rooted and completely incompatible
> (other than finer control of new members as mentioned).

That feels like an incredibly pessimistic view about our membership and
hackers in general. It is always possible to come to a compromise, given
enough discussion.

Would you rather we all get along, or would you rather steamroll someone's
opinion without even attempting to talk about it and make everyone happy?

It is quite apparent that we already have some of those people in the
membership - The kind who refuse to compromise at all costs, even if the other
side is flailing their arms wildly and screaming "I WANT TO WORK WITH YOU ON
THIS". The solution is to not let those sorts of people join, which is
precisely why I asked those questions about what Consensus, Do-ocracy, and
Excellence mean. We need to be more vigilant about that sort of stuff.

> Consensus is called for when things are analog, and concessions can be
> made.  Voting is for when that is not possible (such as our elections (you
> can't elect someone on the condition they stop using apple products).  If
> we may choose between two or more courses of action that are incompatible,
> say the leading projects for some grant money, or (an extreme example) to
> burn down the space or to not burn down the space, there is no compromise
> possible; there is no middle ground.  This is not the debate we face, but
> it's one were likely to encounter (the former).

Correct; that is the only time I'm ok with voting. For just about everything
else though, there are an infinite number of alternatives. Looking back at my
previous proposal that is still on the table to spend a chunk of our grant
money on AWS, there are a number of outcomes:

* The proposal sails through unmodified
* Through discussion, we determine that AWS isn't the best answer and that
this money is better spent on another host
* Through discussion, we determine that hosting isn't the best answer, and
this money is better spent on another project
* Through discussion, we decide that we don't want the grant at all and the
money is returned to the ACF

To take an example from your list, lets consider burning down the space.

* The proposal sails through, and the space is burnt down
* Through discussion, we all agree that burning down the space is not in our
best interests as a community, so a number of people, likely more than three,
block it. Space does not burn down, but they're still pretty upset.
* Through discussion, we find out that the member in favor of burning down the
space really just wants to have a fun place to play with pyrotechnics. Work
starts so that we can build a pyromancy lab. Space does not burn down and
everyone is happy.

A requirement of consensus is that all issues are approached with a very open
mind. At every proposal, we need to ask "Well, what if they're right? What
could they say that would convince me to not block this?"

If you're just going to block something and refuse to compromise (or at least
say why), well, thats not excellent. I think we can all agree on that.

> What alternatives other than a majority rule, dictator rule, or rolling a
> dice exist for deciding between two correct but opposite answers?  If my
> choices are 3d printing a 'the decider' dice set, or for phong to be the
> new commander/overlord of the space, I'll take what I think would make the
> most people happy, after hearing all sides present their point of view,
> doing what the most people have said will make them happy.  As I understand
> the intent of the bylaws, A member, after changing as many minds as
> possible (through facts, debate, or threat) still only counts as one
> member.

First, I would never assume that there are only two correct but opposite
answers. The point of consensus is finding a middle ground.

If it came down to printing such a set of die or having Phong become ultimate
overlord (isn't he already?), I wouldn't pick either. I'd talk with both sides
and try to figure out a compromise. It doesn't make sense to pick one that
"makes the most people happy", if the one that makes the most people happy
hasn't been thought of: One where *everyone* is happy.

> I think the main problem with demanding consensus on every issue is the
> time it takes to wear down those who simply don't agree.  I strongly
> believe we should all move as one whenever possible, as we have in the
> past.  Pulling over the space for a month over one issue keeps us from
> moving at all.

If the only concern is that "it takes us a long time to agree", thats not
really much of an issue, is it? The process works out in the end. Everyone is
happy.

Calling for votes without a mechanism for feedback just squashes dissent and
causes resentment.

> I like your proposal, it allows an individual to cry foul (although I think
> 6 weeks is far too long) but I don't think it would be sufficient for this,
> or other major splits.  Perhaps one week, a member can cry out
> eff-no/reconvene in a week(once and only once).

I'm in favor of 6 weeks because, well, if you really are passionate enough
about an issue, you'll likely be able to change someone's mind in a lot less
than that. If you can't change their mind in six weeks and they haven't been
able to find two others that also support them, then they're just being a
stick in the mud.

I'm ok with 4 weeks as well.

> This will come up again, and at some point in our process I feel we need a
> definitive 'timeout reached, answer is ___" system in place.  A weekly
> rehash of the same issue as you suggest, with the same 3 blocking it until
> one switches opinion, leaves the space, or we all die does not fit this
> need (imo).

Thats the concept of the 6 week period. If one person and only one person has
issue, then after 6 weeks, an answer is reached and a hard decision is made.