Damn good question.  Here's what I would do...

For each classification, find out how many groups there are and how many belong to each group. For gender, you have 2 groups and they are probably split 50/50. So every addition to each bucket of students would be male, then female, etc. This is, clearly, pretty obvious. Geo origin and race would have more buckets with less people per bucket.

I would start assigning students like this:

Bucket 1:  Male, foreign origin (if any), any race
Bucket 2:  Male, foreign origin (if any), any race
... ad nauseum through the first round. Second round choose women of foreign origin of any race. If you run out of men or women before running out of foreign origins, just keep assigning regardless of gender.

When you run out of foreign origins, move to race and do the same thing through all of the various races you describe.

Finally, you are left with American students, male and female of whatever major racial category you have left. Start assigning them. You may further divide them by origin in the US (West Coast, Mountain states, midwest, east coast, etc).

This should roughly balance out the groups, but you may choose to do some manual tweaking from there.

Hope this helps!

-dhs

Dean H. Saxe, CISSP, CEH
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"[U]nconstitutional behavior by the authorities is constrained only by the peoples' willingness to contest them"
    --John Perry Barlow