As a variation on Charlie's suggestion, I'd like to propose assigning points to
individual students for having a certain value for a characteristic:

points = total population / group size

Assume 400 students: 200 Europeans, 100 Asians, 50 Africans, 50 Oceanians.

Europeans: 400/200: 2 points each.
Asians: 400/100: 4 points
etc.

Repeat this for every characteristic. In the end, every student will have
accumulated points for uniqueness. You want to assign the high point students
to their own group first because they are very valueable from a uniqueness
standpoint.

So distribute the top 25 unique students over 25 groups first, then randomly
distribute the next 25 students over the groups etc.

I realize that you are giving more total points to characteristics with more
possible values but I think that still achieves the goal of making each group
as diverse as possible. The benefit is that the above method is fairly easy to
program and with two tables and a bit of sql and some CF loops the overall goal
can be achieved.

I'm curious about how you end up doing it!
Good luck!
Mischa.