Clarke, in addition to the good stuff Shawn shared [and btw, Shawn, I'd
enjoy seeing that code :-)], I'll note that at least as far as the point he
made:

> So the hoster is left with a hard choice: disable CFEXECUTE, CFOBJECT,
> CreateObject(.NET), CreateObject(COM) and CreateObject(JAVA) or accept
> that
> there is no security whatsoever in the shared hosting configuration. If
> you
> disable these tags a lot of applications and frameworks won't work
> anymore.
> For instance Transfer ORM needs Java access, so any application build
> on top
> of it will not work in a secured shared hosting environment.

It's worth noting that in CF8, the CF admin security changed to allow one to
disable the internal CF java objects while not disabling ALL java objects.
That's a huge improvement that has seemed to have gone under the radar.
Still, some may want to still lock down Java objects for other reasons, I
realize. But yes, sandboxes are one way to control how those limitations are
applied (per app) and then specifically indicating what those apps are
allowed to access (even with such Java objects).

It's all cool stuff. For anyone interested, I'll note a couple of articles I
did in the CF6 timeframe about Sandbox Security (or Resource Security, as
its known if you're on CF Standard). Other than that point above, it's
pretty much unchanged since then The first part is here:

http://www.carehart.org/articles/#2002_11

Hope that's helpful.

/charlie