Well it's great to hear if you have solved things, but it begs at least a
couple of questions:

Aren't both CF instances running on the same machine? And if so, if that is
indeed a "windows 7" issue, wouldn't both CF releases had the same issue?
Are you sure it's not that the CF9 instance also already had this java
argument added (much like I asked in the last email, but I had written and
sent that just moments ago, before seeing this.)

Finally, if it does NOT have that, then the next question would be whether
both CF instances are using the same Java version. They should both be Java
1.6, by default. They will likely be different subversions, both because CF
offered an updated one in 10 by default, but also because you or someone
there could have changed either CF 9 or 10 to use a different JVM than the
default they come with.

If you hit the "system information" page in the CF Admin ("I" icon in top
right corner), that has a display of the JVM version. Let us know what it is
for both. It might put a bow on this.

But thanks indeed for sharing what you observed.

As for my last note, I do still think you have an issue that is keeping CF10
from accessing the updates on the internet. That problem, and indeed many
others one can hit with the updater, is addressed in one of the 50 questions
and answers addressed about the CF10 updater in a FAQ at:

http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-hotfix-installation-guide

/charlie