FWIW - it's been a while - but I had issues using the pure CF
implementation of POI for several things.  I started doing my spreadsheet
manipulation in pure java\POI - and loaded the later, FULL POI in order to
it (using javaloader).

I wish I could give you examples, but it's been a couple of years since
I've messed with it.