Nadav:  *"And even if Stallman were this evil, Israel-hating radical like
other people quickly judged him to be, it certainly doesn't reflect anything
on the free software movement as a whole..."*

While I disagree with much of the rest of your analysis, I certainly agree
with that part 100%.  It would be a terrible mistake to conflate Stallman's
political views with the whole of the free software movement, which
certainly does not deserve to be besmirched by association.

I would even go further than that:  I note that Stallman is more than a
little bit of a fruitcake, and a great many things that he says do not
reflect the views of the majority of members of the free software movment.
(Examples that come to mind are his tirades against the Open Source
movement, against usage of the name "Linux" or even "Penguin", and his
general insistence that the rest of the world conform to his own bizarre,
personally-invented lexicon of Politically Correct terminology...)

Moshe