> If distlib doesn't make it into the stdlib, it'll be dead in the water anyway,
> as the purpose of it is to find a common underpinning in the stdlib that
> higher
> level tools can use, to achieve interoperability and consistency across
> different packaging tools. I will be adding more features as time permits -
> e.g.
> I have started adding scripts functionality including binary launchers for
> Windows, and I will soon be adding a "plugins" package to handle the "entry
> point" functionality. At the moment the distlib stuff is really in limbo
> awaiting feedback from distutils-sig and python-dev members; I'll be adding
> bits
> and pieces, but without some kind of endorsement/suggestions/contributions
> from
> others, no real progress can be made.

I feel it is necessary to implement pkg_resources.py on top of any new
API. For example just monkey-patch pkg_resources with the parts you've
implemented, or implement the new API by calling pkg_resources. It
would be a very healthy exercise to see whether you've forgotten
something, and avoids having to port 2/3rds of the software on pypi to
use the new API.

Does pkgutil's resource API (get_data) fit in in any way? I notice it
includes the "list zip contents" implementation but it doesn't expose
it in any way. It would be a chore to have to implement 3 importer
adapters to make all 3 APIs work.