On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:47 PM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 July 2013 13:20, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
>> On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:16 PM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Firstly, I've just made some additional changes to PEP 439 to include:
>>
>> - installing virtualenv as well (so now pip, setuptools and virtualenv are
>> installed)
>>

>> doesn't "PyEnv" which is bundled with Python 3.3+ replace virtualenv? What's
>> the purpose of including virtualenv in the bootstrap?
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405/
>
> It's my understanding that people still install virtualenv in py3k.
>

>    Richard

I just talked to Carl. He basically said that for 3.3+ pyenv itself should
probably used and that "hopefully virtualenv will die in favor of of pyenv".

Another reason I think that the bootstrap script shouldn't install virtualenv
is that of scope. The point of bootstrapping was to make it so pip could be
"included" with Python without actually including it. As far as i'm personally
concerned it should concern itself with installing pip and setuptools (assuming
we can't make setuptools optional in pip or bundled…). We don't need virtualenv
to enable ``pip3 install foo`` so it shouldn't be installing it.

Otoh it would be nicer if PyEnv was taken to integrate with pip (although this
is possibly a different pip) in that when creating a new environment if pip has
already been installed in the "parent" environment it would be copied over into
the pyenv created environment.

Donald Stufft