On 10 July 2013 14:18, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:47 PM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 July 2013 13:20, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
>>> On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:16 PM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Firstly, I've just made some additional changes to PEP 439 to include:
>>>
>>> - installing virtualenv as well (so now pip, setuptools and virtualenv are
>>> installed)
>>>

>>> doesn't "PyEnv" which is bundled with Python 3.3+ replace virtualenv?
>>> What's the purpose of including virtualenv in the bootstrap?
>>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405/
>>
>> It's my understanding that people still install virtualenv in py3k.
>

> I just talked to Carl. He basically said that for 3.3+ pyenv itself should
> probably used and that "hopefully virtualenv will die in favor of of pyenv".

OK, thanks. I wonder whether virtualenv.org could mention pyvenv for Py3k users?

> Another reason I think that the bootstrap script shouldn't install virtualenv
> is that of scope. The point of bootstrapping was to make it so pip could be
> "included" with Python without actually including it. As far as i'm
> personally concerned it should concern itself with installing pip and
> setuptools (assuming we can't make setuptools optional in pip or bundled…).
> We don't need virtualenv to enable ``pip3 install foo`` so it shouldn't be
> installing it.

pip without virtualenv in python 2 contexts is pretty rare (or at
least *should* be <wink>) so I think I'll retain it in that bootstrap
code.

> Otoh it would be nicer if PyEnv was taken to integrate with pip (although
> this is possibly a different pip) in that when creating a new environment if
> pip has already been installed in the "parent" environment it would be copied
> over into the pyenv created environment.

There's also the idea I mentioned yesterday: if pip is installed to
the user local site-packages then it would be really good if pip's
installs could also default to that rather than the system
site-packages. In fact I consider it a bug that it does not, and I
hope the pip devs will come to think that too :-)

     Richard